Wednesday, September 12, 2007

McHale's Sign Salvaged


photo from aboutmattlaw

I recently stumbled upon its signage, thanks to this flickr stream. Apparently, the vintage neon sign was up for sale (a couple grand) somewhere on 26th Street. I'm not sure if it's still there. If anyone knows the fate of this sign, please let me know.

As for the former McHale's site, this giant condo rises from the rubble, a 43-story "power residence." The advertising imagery makes me think of Randian heroes, titanic John Galts who view free-market capitalism as the way to individual triumph. This isn't the only place Ayn Rand pops up these days. Are we in a new Randian age? I am thinking here also of Thor Equities, named after the Norse warrior god.



What world is this where power-hungry, hard-muscled men and women stride out of sportscars to ascend into flaming Babelian towers of steel? According to the website, it's a "rarified world etched in water and fire, stone and glass...and power."

10 comments:

Jean Martha said...

McHale's. Sad. My Fiance actually wept when he found it was closing. If I had the cash, that sign would either make him happy or even more depressed about the loss.

Anonymous said...

A couple of thousand dollars is an awful lot of fuckin' cash, but the McHale's sign would have truly been an amazing -- if slightly tragic -- artifact.

I have to say that I'm enjoying this blog very much. Keep it up, my good man!

ArtBlog said...

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't one of the main plot points in Atlas Shrugged about how the creative people, the ones that actually produce the stuff the rich get rich on, got sick of producing for such vapid, empty, soul-less users?

I think this is a good analogy as these people who are destroying our home town offer absolutely NOTHING of value to our society or culture. They create nothing of worth to anyone but themselves.

At least the stuff they built during Boss Tweed was nice to look at.

(btw I love the blog, check it almost daily)

Jeremiah Moss said...

thanks for your comments artblog. true, we're living in a society of consumers, where most of us consume more than we produce.

kitson said...

Jeremiah: I know it's been well over a year now, but any word on what became of the McHale's sign?

Jeremiah Moss said...

this is the last i heard of it

Anonymous said...

The "BAR" sign from McHale's is in the back of Emmett O'Lunney's on 50th street just off B'way.

Jeremiah Moss said...

glad to know it's surviving for all to enjoy.

LsR. said...

there's something stangely nazi-ish about that platinum power poster. its right out of the black & white nazi propaganda films. those stunning graphically captivating german political movies. i understand why he won. welcome to new york! the fittest, smartest, most beautiful race. (& those 'others who do their laundry, optional).

LsR. said...

re: my comment about nazi propaganda, & artblogs "atlas shrugged" comment. most of those who are imported do the laundry, dont make much contributions either. the whole thing is twisted way way out. i cant even begin to explain myself. in summery, its a paradox of extremes. which will lead us ......dont get me started.