Monday, November 26, 2012

Sarge's Deli

Sarge's Delicatessen has been ravaged by a three-alarm fire.

Reports the Daily News this morning, "The blaze started in Sarge's Delicatessen Restaurant on Third Ave. between E. 36th and E. 37th Sts. around 6:50 p.m. and spread with vicious speed throughout the four-story building." There were minor injuries to firefighters, no deaths. "More than 150 firefighters battled the blaze for 90 minutes."

As for Sarge's, "The restaurant sustained some severe damage and will not be open for a while."

All photos: June 2012

Family-owned Sarge's Deli has been around since 1964. On their website, they proudly announce that they are "the only deli in New York that currently cures their own corned beef and pastrami on premises."


They don't get the attention that other survivors of the Great Delicatessen Die-off get, like Katz's or Carnegie. I didn't know they existed until this past spring, when I wandered by (I rarely go to Murray Hill) while walking up to Prime Burger for its last day on Earth.

I was dazzled by the old signage and the walls covered with celebrity headshots. I figured I'd go back one day.


Now I hope we all get the chance to visit Sarge's and enjoy that just-cured corned beef.




8 comments:

James C. Taylor said...

Oh no! I sauntered over to Sarge's on my lunch break once as part of my citywide egg cream tour. Something of a hidden gem. Hope they can reopen soon.

Marco said...

A jewel of a deli. NYC through and through. I do hope they reopen.

Marty Wombacher said...

Sorry to hear about this, Sarge's is a great old-school deli. I hope none of the photos on the wall were damaged.

Grand St. said...

Sucks. Every neighborhood should have a place like this (and most used to). I live across town and call in orders all the time. The ladies at the register are always the right mix of no-nonsense and friendly. (Like Marco says, New York though and through.) Most importantly, the food's tasty, too.

Hope they reopen quickly.

Anonymous said...

I work by Sarges. total loss please reopen soon

Miss Phoebe said...

I discovered Sarges at my first job in NYC, 10 years ago, we ordered lunch from there. So sad! I loved how they brought a whole bowl of slaw to the table along with pickles. Best shakes in town!

Anonymous said...

ooI worked at Sarge's for a few months in 1998 - great food, nice family owners. The rugelah is addictive. I do hope they can reopen soon.

Anonymous said...

they are indeed back